Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I would like to write about another novel that is really absorbing and makes an impact on the readers - The City Of Joy written by Dominique Lapierre a French born Author , who has written ' Is Paris Burning? ' and 'Is Newyork Burning' both critically acclaimed as great fiction.
City of Joy was written based on the experiences of the author during his frequent stays in Calcutta.

The author wrote the story based on three years of extensive research in Calcutta and various areas in Bengal.It is basically the story of Stephan Kovalski , a polish Catholic priest who wants to make a home to care for the poorest of the poor among the slum dwellers of Calcutta and finds life tough at the same time develops a love for the people and the dignity with which they led their lives amidst poverty..

In my opinion , one of the best books ever written on India that is realistic and hard hitting but not judgmental !

I had totally forgotten this one but thanks for the reminder. Yes, it is totally great book and like you said, truly realistic and nonjudgmental book written by a foreigner.

"Time Machine" by H G Wells is a very small book but with a loud message.

Time Machine, was the book ,I inherited from my father's library when I was very young. Though I could not understand it fully at that tender age,later I found it to be absorbing.

These days they do not write books like Leon Uris novels especially like Mila 18, full of reseach and written with compassion.

It's not that good books are not being written, For an avid reader,with a thirst for reading, they are there always.

Could you suggest some for consideration.

The story of my Marriage by Chetan Bhagat. 3 Mistakes of my life by the same author to name a few.

They are good books and light to read, but they are not in the class of books by authors like Leon Uris or Irving Wallace whose one book you are currently reading which are well researched. Bhagat's books are not researched but are immensely popular and one reason is their very low price which is a good marketing technique.

We are talking about Books Of your Choice. Not class or Mass books. These are my choice Books.

I respect your choice. I was only trying to bring out that some authors write with lot of research and their books become a far more pleasure to read and leave an impression on one's mind. This does not devalue other authors or their lovers in any way.

I found Chetan Bhagat Books are well up to my tastes.he knows the pulse of his readers. This is my opinion.
I would like to write about another novel that is really absorbing and makes an impact on the readers - The City Of Joy written by Dominique Lapierre a French born Author , who has written ' Is Paris Burning? ' and 'Is Newyork Burning' both critically acclaimed as great fiction.
City of Joy was written based on the experiences of the author during his frequent stays in Calcutta.

The author wrote the story based on three years of extensive research in Calcutta and various areas in Bengal.It is basically the story of Stephan Kovalski , a polish Catholic priest who wants to make a home to care for the poorest of the poor among the slum dwellers of Calcutta and finds life tough at the same time develops a love for the people and the dignity with which they led their lives amidst poverty..

In my opinion , one of the best books ever written on India that is realistic and hard hitting but not judgmental !

I had totally forgotten this one but thanks for the reminder. Yes, it is totally great book and like you said, truly realistic and nonjudgmental book written by a foreigner.

Time Machine, was the book ,I inherited from my father's library when I was very young. Though I could not understand it fully at that tender age,later I found it to be absorbing.

These days they do not write books like Leon Uris novels especially like Mila 18, full of reseach and written with compassion.

I have not read Mila18 but I did read Uris's Exodus, Armageddon and QB VII, all of which are based around the same World War II scenario and execution of Jews and the stories of extraordinary courage of many people. His books are indeed masterpieces, written with a lot of research and the rare compassionate eye!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

:dry: V

I have not read Mila18 but I did read Uris's Exodus, Armageddon and QB VII, all of which are based around the same World War II scenario and execution of Jews and the stories of extraordinary courage of many people. His books are indeed masterpieces, written with a lot of research and the rare compassionate eye!

I too am a fan of Leon Uris. But I could read Exodus and Armeggadon only. The writer captivates the readers with his gripping style. Readers are bodily lifted in to the world of the writer.
Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

I have read almost all his books and would recommend you to read Mila 18 which I feel is his best book.

Leon Uris is one of my favorite authors and I have read quite a few of his books , his Armageddon being my favorite.It is a shocking account of cold war, the atrocities commited by the allies on Germans and how ordinary Germans suffered simply because they were all part of the Nazi regime ...A must read for all those who like to read books on Holocaust !
Other than that I have read Angry hills, Exodus and The Haj and a couple of others I cannot now remember the titles...But Leon Uris is an all time great author!

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: vijay
The savage detectives by Roberto Bolano, tells about two modern day warriors just like Don Quixote. it is a very inventive and ambitious novel as the author is Spanish but the novel is available in English, it is a great read especially which tells about a tragicomic quest of an author through wildly, exuberant detective style of writing.

http://mohanmekap.com/

The savage detectives by Roberto Bolano, tells about two modern day warriors just like Don Quixote. it is a very inventive and ambitious novel as the author is Spanish but the novel is available in English, it is a great read especially which tells about a tragicomic quest of an author through wildly, exuberant detective style of writing.

This is the first time I have come across this Chilean author, so I googled and read about the author and his books - his 2666 is claimed to be a masterpiece and one of his last books . He passed away in 2003. The book The Savage detectives won an award and considered to be an outstanding novel written by him...
I will make a note of this book, thank you ... :)

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: mohan manohar

I have read almost all his books and would recommend you to read Mila 18 which I feel is his best book.

I have already marked the title in my 'to buy' list! Somehow or other I had simply stopped looking at these titles and had been reading Daviod Baldacci, John Grisham more these days, but I have now resolved to get all his books one by one!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

I have already marked the title in my 'to buy' list! Somehow or other I had simply stopped looking at these titles and had been reading Daviod Baldacci, John Grisham more these days, but I have now resolved to get all his books one by one!

John Grisham is also a racy writer. Have you or others read biographies by Irving Stone. They are also very well written books.
Robert Ludlum is probably one of the most successful authors who writes books on Espionage and political conspiracies and one can easily get hooked on to his books. One of the best written novels written by Ludlum was The Tristan Betrayal which was different in that it also was a love story which looks doomed because of the times which is in the forties when the world fears Hitler and eastern bloc countries are trying to please him. But times are such that there is betrayal everywhere and the lovers too are at the receiving end ...As I mentioned in an earlier post, any book written on Holocaust makes for an interesting read and this is no different!
A very absorbing and well written book by Robert Ludlum !

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.