Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Chicken Soup Series are a set of Books. They are the compilation of works of different eminent Authors like Jack Canfield. Mark Victor Hansen, Martin Rutt and several others. These series are replete with poignant experiences about ordinary men and women who touch other lives in an extraordinary way with their exemplary acts of kindness, caring and love.
I read the “Chicken Soup for the soul at work” earlier. The other series like Chicken soup for the kids soul, Chicken soup for teenage soul etc are fortunately available in my Library. I’ll go for them.

I too have read a couple of them and they are good, they come under the category of feel good books and some of them are really effective i the sense they can impact your views and thinking process since most of them are based on experience and reality ..

The best part of these books are, they are short and sweet, backed up by good cartoons. Another aspect is these books is, "They are not just read and put back in the shelf." they have that "Rereading" value. When I'm low, I read these books.
Chicken Soup Series are a set of Books. They are the compilation of works of different eminent Authors like Jack Canfield. Mark Victor Hansen, Martin Rutt and several others. These series are replete with poignant experiences about ordinary men and women who touch other lives in an extraordinary way with their exemplary acts of kindness, caring and love.
I read the “Chicken Soup for the soul at work” earlier. The other series like Chicken soup for the kids soul, Chicken soup for teenage soul etc are fortunately available in my Library. I’ll go for them.

I too have read a couple of them and they are good, they come under the category of feel good books and some of them are really effective i the sense they can impact your views and thinking process since most of them are based on experience and reality ..

The best part of these books are, they are short and sweet, backed up by good cartoons. Another aspect is these books is, "They are not just read and put back in the shelf." they have that "Rereading" value. When I'm low, I read these books.

True ! I too have quite a few such books which are very helpful...one that I particular ly liked was Peaks and valleys written by Spencer Johnson, was very inspiring and made you think..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

True ! I too have quite a few such books which are very helpful...one that I particular ly liked was Peaks and valleys written by Spencer Johnson, was very inspiring and made you think..

The problem with me is i do not remember about some great Books read years ago. Now your thread is helping me recollect such books. One of them is "Old Man and the sea" by Ernest Hemingway. A short book that made an indelible mark on my Heart. I have seen the movie also. Spencer Tracy's portrayal as the old man was superb.

The problem with me is i do not remember about some great Books read years ago. Now your thread is helping me recollect such books. One of them is "Old Man and the sea" by Ernest Hemingway. A short book that made an indelible mark on my Heart. I have seen the movie also. Spencer Tracy's portrayal as the old man was superb.

Same here, I tpo am being introduced through this thread to new books some known , some forgotten and some unknown - Of course Hemingway's books are considered classics esp Old man and the sea which is considered a true classic ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: rambabu

Same here, I tpo am being introduced through this thread to new books some known , some forgotten and some unknown - Of course Hemingway's books are considered classics esp Old man and the sea which is considered a true classic ..

After a long time when the old man gets a big fish in his net, he was overjoyed. But the big fish was more stronger than the old man. Then the struggle starts between the old man and the big fish. Under any conditions he doesn't want to lose the fish. Most of the book is filled with monologues. ultimately, the old man gets the fish with his determination and grit.
In the movie it looked as if spencer Tracy was born only to portray the role of the man created by Hemingway way.
I thank you for this thread for making me remind about a great book.
Thank you said by: usha manohar
A book that made a lot of impression on its readers was All Ouiet on Western Front' by Ramarque, about a soldiers view of war from the war front. It was I believe also made into a film. The story was very touching.
Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar, usha manohar
A book that made a lot of impression on its readers was All Ouiet on Western Front' by Ramarque, about a soldiers view of war from the war front. It was I believe also made into a film. The story was very touching.

Erich Maria Remarque was a celebrated writer. I read his books besides "All Quiet on the western front" Arch de triumph also.

Erich Maria Remarque was a celebrated writer. I read his books besides "All Quiet on the western front" Arch de triumph also.

I immensely enjoyed reading the collection of short stories by the French author Guy de Massupuant and American author O'Hara or O'Henry ( It has been so many years ,I am a bit confused ).

I immensely enjoyed reading the collection of short stories by the French author Guy de Massupuant and American author O'Hara or O'Henry ( It has been so many years ,I am a bit confused ).

It's John O'Hara. He's a famous writer in both genres. Novels and short story writer. One of his novels, Butterfield 8 was filmed long ago. Elizabeth Taylor was the heroine. She won her first Oscar for her role.
Thank you said by: vijay

That is my favorite book and yes, it was made into an epic film! Memorable and hardhitting!

I have read numerous books written around the theme of World War II and love them all, best of ones which I liked are The Longest Day by Cornelius Ryan, The Bridge Over The River Kwai by Pierre Boulle, Both of which were also made into memorable films.

There is another beautiful book, not very well known but happens to be my favorite, Three Little Ships by Lilian Harry which is about a massive rescue efforts undertaken by the entire England to attempt to bring back home their soldiers from Dunkirk, France after France is overrun by Germans. This i9s the true story of the large-scale operation in which each and every British citizen took part, all of who owned some or the other kind of boat or ship joined in, even tiny little paddle boats and boats rowed with oars, sailed across the hostile channels and brought home their fathers, sons and brothers. On the first day of the evacuation, only 7,669 men were evacuated, but by the ninth day a total of 338,226 soldiers had been rescued by a hastily-assembled fleet of over 800 boats.

This rescue operation was codenamed Operation Dynamo but remains etched in history as the Miracle of Dunkirk, indeed a miracle of the bravery and courage of simple citizens fighting against nature and hostile enemy to bring home their men! Here is the link to read more about this memorable event, but do read the book also if you can!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunkirk_evacuation

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: usha manohar
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.