Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I would like to write about another novel that is really absorbing and makes an impact on the readers - The City Of Joy written by Dominique Lapierre a French born Author , who has written ' Is Paris Burning? ' and 'Is Newyork Burning' both critically acclaimed as great fiction.
City of Joy was written based on the experiences of the author during his frequent stays in Calcutta.

The author wrote the story based on three years of extensive research in Calcutta and various areas in Bengal.It is basically the story of Stephan Kovalski , a polish Catholic priest who wants to make a home to care for the poorest of the poor among the slum dwellers of Calcutta and finds life tough at the same time develops a love for the people and the dignity with which they led their lives amidst poverty..

In my opinion , one of the best books ever written on India that is realistic and hard hitting but not judgmental !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
I would like to write about another novel that is really absorbing and makes an impact on the readers - The City Of Joy written by Dominique Lapierre a French born Author , who has written ' Is Paris Burning? ' and 'Is Newyork Burning' both critically acclaimed as great fiction.
City of Joy was written based on the experiences of the author during his frequent stays in Calcutta.

The author wrote the story based on three years of extensive research in Calcutta and various areas in Bengal.It is basically the story of Stephan Kovalski , a polish Catholic priest who wants to make a home to care for the poorest of the poor among the slum dwellers of Calcutta and finds life tough at the same time develops a love for the people and the dignity with which they led their lives amidst poverty..

In my opinion , one of the best books ever written on India that is realistic and hard hitting but not judgmental ![/quote

I read all the Books by Dominique Lapierre. His first book"Freedom at Midnight" written jointly with Larry Collins .It describes the events in the Indian independence movement in 1947-48,
His other books you mentioned are quite absorbing and unputdownable. Yes. these Books are some of the best ever written on India..

In my opinion , one of the best books ever written on India that is realistic and hard hitting but not judgmental !

I read all the Books by Dominique Lapierre. His first book"Freedom at Midnight" written jointly with Larry Collins .It describes the events in the Indian independence movement in 1947-48,
His other books you mentioned are quite absorbing and unputdownable. Yes. these Books are some of the best ever written on India..

I too have read Freedom at midnight which I think he wrote jointly with his wife....His approach to the subject is very straight forward and that is his strong point since it comes without any frills..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I too have read Freedom at midnight which I think he wrote jointly with his wife....His approach to the subject is very straight forward and that is his strong point since it comes without any frills..

Yes simplicity is the strength of this Book. The pace makes you breathless.
Larry Collins is the coauthor of Freedom at Midnight.
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/35332.Larry_Collins

Yes simplicity is the strength of this Book. The pace makes you breathless.
Larry Collins is the coauthor of Freedom at Midnight.
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/35332.Larry_Collins

Yes thats right , jis wife was involved in reserach work for al his books esp The city of Joy...

I am searching some of books in Google books. Very interesting discussion going on.

http://mohanmekap.com/

I am reading The Man Who knew Infinity' by Robert Kanigel. it is the life story or biography of the mathematical genius Srinivasa Ramanujan. The story is told in simple manner and is very touching esp the relation he had with the English mathematician Hardy and the faith he has in his family goddess Yallama. Worth reading
I am reading The Man Who knew Infinity' by Robert Kanigel. it is the life story or biography of the mathematical genius Srinivasa Ramanujan. The story is told in simple manner and is very touching esp the relation he had with the English mathematician Hardy and the faith he has in his family goddess Yallama. Worth reading

I too have heard about this book, will add on to my list, ..Incidentally the author Robert Kanigel has written very interesting biographies !

House of leaves by Danielewski is a novel with significant given to semantics, the way it is explained show the strong strength of author with vocab. Tha man comes with his family to a newly bought house and find it haunted and the way words are explained in this novel shows how a single word can be written for more than 20 pages with different connotations.

http://mohanmekap.com/

Thank you said by: usha manohar

I had totally forgotten this one but thanks for the reminder. Yes, it is totally great book and like you said, truly realistic and nonjudgmental book written by a foreigner.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: usha manohar
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.