Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Amongst books written by Indian authors I liked Amruta Pritam's Pinjar a lot and The Inscrutable Americans by Anurag Mathur a lot!

Pinjar revolves around the life of a young girl who has been kidnapped by a Muslim family and she is forever separated from her family and fiance when the country divides and she remains in Pakistan. A very heartwrenching tale beautifully told!

I have read Pinjar and yes she is a very effective author ...There have been many good indian authors before and now ..
Ashok Kumar Banker is another great Indian author who has written The Ramayana in a modern style so that the today generation is able to grasp it in six parts, very well written.
I confess that Ramayana is not my favorite epic like Mahabharat is , because I see Rama as a person who was very rigid and partial in his views all round...but this book tries to soften the character by giving a different perspective to and insight to it ! worth reading since Ashok Banker's style of writing is innovative !

I too don't like Rama much .So, am looking forward to read The Ramayana that you have mentioned. Anyway, regarding Indian authors i like Munshi premchand especially his 'Godan'. Hardship faced by people belonging to low caste are expressed realistically in this novel
Thank you said by: usha manohar, Kalyani Nandurkar
Amongst books written by Indian authors I liked Amruta Pritam's Pinjar a lot and The Inscrutable Americans by Anurag Mathur a lot!

Pinjar revolves around the life of a young girl who has been kidnapped by a Muslim family and she is forever separated from her family and fiance when the country divides and she remains in Pakistan. A very heartwrenching tale beautifully told!

I have read Pinjar and yes she is a very effective author ...There have been many good indian authors before and now ..
Ashok Kumar Banker is another great Indian author who has written The Ramayana in a modern style so that the today generation is able to grasp it in six parts, very well written.
I confess that Ramayana is not my favorite epic like Mahabharat is , because I see Rama as a person who was very rigid and partial in his views all round...but this book tries to soften the character by giving a different perspective to and insight to it ! worth reading since Ashok Banker's style of writing is innovative !

I too don't like Rama much .So, am looking forward to read The Ramayana that you have mentioned. Anyway, regarding Indian authors i like Munshi premchand especially his 'Godan'. Hardship faced by people belonging to low caste are expressed realistically in this novel

I have heard about Godaan , Jabeen and look forward to read it, if I am not mistaken, there was also a film made in the sixties based on the novel .

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I have read Premchand books during my school years and I liked Godaan a lot! His books are really hard hitting and throws light on the prevailing conditions of rural people in Central India. Since his novels, those conditions have hardly changed so I think his books have an appeal and relevance even today!

Among other authors, I have like S.L. Bhairappa a lot although the only book I have read by him is Avarana which means a layer or a covering. It is a beautiful book of a Hindu girl who marries a Muslim boy.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

I have read Premchand books during my school years and I liked Godaan a lot! His books are really hard hitting and throws light on the prevailing conditions of rural people in Central India. Since his novels, those conditions have hardly changed so I think his books have an appeal and relevance even today!

Among other authors, I have like S.L. Bhairappa a lot although the only book I have read by him is Avarana which means a layer or a covering. It is a beautiful book of a Hindu girl who marries a Muslim boy.

S.L Byrappa is a Kannada author and he has written many novels dealing with social problems - I have read many of his books namely Vamshavriksha, Nayi neralu, Daatu and Parva , which is his version of Mahabharat...Some of his books have been controversial but there is no denying the fact that he is one of the best authors we have in India..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

S.L Byrappa is a Kannada author and he has written many novels dealing with social problems - I have read many of his books namely Vamshavriksha, Nayi neralu, Daatu and Parva , which is his version of Mahabharat...Some of his books have been controversial but there is no denying the fact that he is one of the best authors we have in India..

He is undoubtably one of the best contemporary authors in India, I read about the controversy regarding the book Avarana but then it is unavoidable and understandable since it revolves around the certain community! But it is realistic and portrays the real picture of what goes on in such families!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

He is undoubtably one of the best contemporary authors in India, I read about the controversy regarding the book Avarana but then it is unavoidable and understandable since it revolves around the certain community! But it is realistic and portrays the real picture of what goes on in such families!

I agree...In fact his novel Vamshavriksha which means familytree was even more controversial and there were many seminars and debates on it when I was in colege. The book deals with widow remarriage and S L Byrappa's treatment of the subject makes you feel that it is a crime for widows to marry when theu have children and there are repurcussions which cannot be avoided. The book is excellent, was made into a film as well and was critically acclaimed..

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

I have heard about Godaan , Jabeen and look forward to read it, if I am not mistaken, there was also a film made in the sixties based on the novel .

I don't know if a film has been made based on Godan but the novel is very moving. Another indian writer who can be counted among the greatest story teller is Rabindra Nath Tagore. I have read his The home and the world. He writes very beautifully. It is based on Indian freedom struggle movement and tells the story of a woman who in the beginning was a traditional obedient wife. But later when she gets infatuated with a man who was actively involved with struggle movements, she gradually changes her personality.

I don't know if a film has been made based on Godan but the novel is very moving. Another indian writer who can be counted among the greatest story teller is Rabindra Nath Tagore. I have read his The home and the world. He writes very beautifully. It is based on Indian freedom struggle movement and tells the story of a woman who in the beginning was a traditional obedient wife. But later when she gets infatuated with a man who was actively involved with struggle movements, she gradually changes her personality.

Godaan was a film made in the sixties based on the novel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godaan
I too like Rabindranath Tagores writings although I have read just one ' Of Myself ' which is autobiographical and skimmed through the others ...will definitely read Ghar Bhaire ( The home and the world )..

Chicken Soup Series are a set of Books. They are the compilation of works of different eminent Authors like Jack Canfield. Mark Victor Hansen, Martin Rutt and several others. These series are replete with poignant experiences about ordinary men and women who touch other lives in an extraordinary way with their exemplary acts of kindness, caring and love.
I read the “Chicken Soup for the soul at work” earlier. The other series like Chicken soup for the kids soul, Chicken soup for teenage soul etc are fortunately available in my Library. I’ll go for them.
Chicken Soup Series are a set of Books. They are the compilation of works of different eminent Authors like Jack Canfield. Mark Victor Hansen, Martin Rutt and several others. These series are replete with poignant experiences about ordinary men and women who touch other lives in an extraordinary way with their exemplary acts of kindness, caring and love.
I read the “Chicken Soup for the soul at work” earlier. The other series like Chicken soup for the kids soul, Chicken soup for teenage soul etc are fortunately available in my Library. I’ll go for them.

I too have read a couple of them and they are good, they come under the category of feel good books and some of them are really effective i the sense they can impact your views and thinking process since most of them are based on experience and reality ..

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.