Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Very interesting discussion here about literature, a rare thread but with fulll of knowledge.

The very motto of Forums is to spread knowledge through exchange of thoughts.
Very interesting discussion here about literature, a rare thread but with fulll of knowledge.

The very motto of Forums is to spread knowledge through exchange of thoughts.

I have also had the opportunity of reading in Hindi books written by Acharya Chatursen like Chattan etc. The language is so poetic and the novels are based on true stories of historical importance and one gets to know so much about the characters. Like Chattan is about King Shivaji. I would recommend his books to the young to know about our country.
Right now just completed Irving Wallace's The Pigeon Project. A scientific fiction. A scientist discovers a substance that will extend the longevity of Human beings.
Then comes the severe competition between all the nations to own the substance followed by nail biting suspense and spine chilling adventures.
Finally who will succeed in grabbing the rare substance ?
For the answer one must read the Book.
Excitement and entertainment are fully guaranteed.
@ Anshu - The Shiva trilogy series that include "The Immortals of Meluha", "Secret of the Nagas" and "Oath of the Vayuputras" are also quite interesting if one has an interest for mythology written with a modern mindset. The three books written by Amish Tripathi are worth a read.

That sounds interesting,..we have many writers in India coming up with really good novels these days ...

Rebecca is a nice novel and so far am yet to solve its mystery.

You have not read the last pages of Rebecca ? the mystery is solved in the court case where you know the entire thing, as for the haunting it is supposed to be psychological ...
is it psychological or real still shrouds in mystery, I think but am not sure about it. Most of time, while reading I felt presence of Rebecca there but sometimes it moves to psychological angle.

It is more to do with Mrs De Winter's state of mind since , she is obsessed with thoughts of Rebecca who is supposed to be not just beautiful but perfect in every way...So she fantasises her presence all over the house ! You know in the entire book we never come to know the second wife's name, she is just referred to as Mrs De Winter ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: mohan manohar
One of the book which really left a long lasting impression on my mind is" Of mice and men" by John Steinbeck. I read it a long time back but still I can recollect the scenes as it really moved me. Its a story about two friends who worked together in a farm. One of them had brute strength but had a mind of a child and oft did not realise what he was doing. The other friend was always concerned about his getting into trouble and tried to protect him in whatever ways he can. But he got into trouble unknowingly and his friend was at last forced to kill him in order to save him from more cruel death.

Usha, the palace of illusion is really a nice novel. I too enjoyed reading it as the characterization of Draupadi was done beautifully

@ Anshu,
I felt that the immortals of meluha was more interesting than the second part" the secrets of nagas' which became more like a typical hindi movies halfway. After reading the second part, I didn't feel like going through the third part

Jabeen, I too have read Of Mice and men and liked it a lot..I have also read his Totilla flat which was complicated and about a group of friends who go through ups and downs of life during world war 1, a bit depressing !...There are so many good books that one can read, not enough time to read ...

I have read only a couple of Steinbeck's novel including The Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men seems to be quite interesting. Usha, it is true what you said, there are so many books to be read and not enough time!

Other books that I have read and found to be extremely beautiful are Boris Pasternak's Dr. Zhivago, Margaret Mitchell's Gone With The Wind and Pearl Buck's The Good Earth. Although they are set in countries different from our own, the books do have a universal and timeless appeal!

Though I have not yet read Dr Zhivago, I have read the other two that you have mentioned and found both of them interesting. In fact, Gone with the Wind is one of my favourite book. Even its sequel ' Scarlett" is equally good.
One of the book which really left a long lasting impression on my mind is" Of mice and men" by John Steinbeck. I read it a long time back but still I can recollect the scenes as it really moved me. Its a story about two friends who worked together in a farm. One of them had brute strength but had a mind of a child and oft did not realise what he was doing. The other friend was always concerned about his getting into trouble and tried to protect him in whatever ways he can. But he got into trouble unknowingly and his friend was at last forced to kill him in order to save him from more cruel death.

Usha, the palace of illusion is really a nice novel. I too enjoyed reading it as the characterization of Draupadi was done beautifully

@ Anshu,
I felt that the immortals of meluha was more interesting than the second part" the secrets of nagas' which became more like a typical hindi movies halfway. After reading the second part, I didn't feel like going through the third part

Jabeen, I too have read Of Mice and men and liked it a lot..I have also read his Totilla flat which was complicated and about a group of friends who go through ups and downs of life during world war 1, a bit depressing !...There are so many good books that one can read, not enough time to read ...

I have read only a couple of Steinbeck's novel including The Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men seems to be quite interesting. Usha, it is true what you said, there are so many books to be read and not enough time!

Other books that I have read and found to be extremely beautiful are Boris Pasternak's Dr. Zhivago, Margaret Mitchell's Gone With The Wind and Pearl Buck's The Good Earth. Although they are set in countries different from our own, the books do have a universal and timeless appeal!

Though I have not yet read Dr Zhivago, I have read the other two that you have mentioned and found both of them interesting. In fact, Gone with the Wind is one of my favourite book. Even its sequel ' Scarlett" is equally good.

I have read Dr Zhivago, seen the film too...Great in every respcet, so also Gone with the Wind and Good Earth, In fact Peart S Buck is another one of my favorite authors. Her writings are so realistic...I have read The hidden flower, which was another extremely touching novel written by her.
The story is about an American soldier falling in love with a Japanese girl, marrying her and bringing her to America only to find that she is unable to fit into his society...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

@ Anshu,

I have read Russian author Maxim Gorky's "Mother" and it is a moving story set in the period around the Russian Revolution in 1917. I wonder if anyone in the forum has read it?

I have read Mother years ago! Also, like Rambabu mentioned here, Russian books were easily accessible, my father was in Air Force and they used to get spares from Russia and because of the need for weight distribution in the cargo planes or some such things, cartons and cartons of books and magazines used to land here occasionally. During my school days, we regularly got the Russian equivalent of Reader's Digest called Sputnik to read and it was literally a goldmine of information about Russian culture and lifestyle!

@Usha, I have read a few other books written by Pearl Buck, most notably I liked apart from The Good Earth was The Portrait of a Marriage, a beautiful novel.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

@ Anshu - The Shiva trilogy series that include "The Immortals of Meluha", "Secret of the Nagas" and "Oath of the Vayuputras" are also quite interesting if one has an interest for mythology written with a modern mindset. The three books written by Amish Tripathi are worth a read.

That sounds interesting,..we have many writers in India coming up with really good novels these days ...

You have not read the last pages of Rebecca ? the mystery is solved in the court case where you know the entire thing, as for the haunting it is supposed to be psychological ...
is it psychological or real still shrouds in mystery, I think but am not sure about it. Most of time, while reading I felt presence of Rebecca there but sometimes it moves to psychological angle.

It is more to do with Mrs De Winter's state of mind since , she is obsessed with thoughts of Rebecca who is supposed to be not just beautiful but perfect in every way...So she fantasises her presence all over the house ! You know in the entire book we never come to know the second wife's name, she is just referred to as Mrs De Winter ...
Rebecca became nameless throughout the novel. There are many unasered questions of how she died and whether it was suicide or murder.

http://mohanmekap.com/

Rebecca became nameless throughout the novel. There are many unasered questions of how she died and whether it was suicide or murder.

Rbecca is Rebecca , it is the second wife who is referred only through her married name....You also come to know the mystery of her death in the end but it is not revealed. A hindi film Kohra was made in the sixties based on Rebecca , had Waheeda Rehman, Biswajeet and Lalita Pawaar in the lead roles and had very melodious music by Hemant Kumar !

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar, mohan manohar

Rbecca is Rebecca , it is the second wife who is referred only through her married name....You also come to know the mystery of her death in the end but it is not revealed. A hindi film Kohra was made in the sixties based on Rebecca , had Waheeda Rehman, Biswajeet and Lalita Pawaar in the lead roles and had very melodious music by Hemant Kumar !
thanks I will try to see this film through you tube. :whistle: :whistle:

http://mohanmekap.com/

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.