Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Rebecca is a nice novel and so far am yet to solve its mystery.

http://mohanmekap.com/

@ Anshu - The Shiva trilogy series that include "The Immortals of Meluha", "Secret of the Nagas" and "Oath of the Vayuputras" are also quite interesting if one has an interest for mythology written with a modern mindset. The three books written by Amish Tripathi are worth a read.

That sounds interesting,..we have many writers in India coming up with really good novels these days ...

You have not read the last pages of Rebecca ? the mystery is solved in the court case where you know the entire thing, as for the haunting it is supposed to be psychological ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

@ Anshu - The Shiva trilogy series that include "The Immortals of Meluha", "Secret of the Nagas" and "Oath of the Vayuputras" are also quite interesting if one has an interest for mythology written with a modern mindset. The three books written by Amish Tripathi are worth a read.

That sounds interesting,..we have many writers in India coming up with really good novels these days ...

You have not read the last pages of Rebecca ? the mystery is solved in the court case where you know the entire thing, as for the haunting it is supposed to be psychological ...
is it psychological or real still shrouds in mystery, I think but am not sure about it. Most of time, while reading I felt presence of Rebecca there but sometimes it moves to psychological angle.

One of the book which really left a long lasting impression on my mind is" Of mice and men" by John Steinbeck. I read it a long time back but still I can recollect the scenes as it really moved me. Its a story about two friends who worked together in a farm. One of them had brute strength but had a mind of a child and oft did not realise what he was doing. The other friend was always concerned about his getting into trouble and tried to protect him in whatever ways he can. But he got into trouble unknowingly and his friend was at last forced to kill him in order to save him from more cruel death.

Usha, the palace of illusion is really a nice novel. I too enjoyed reading it as the characterization of Draupadi was done beautifully

@ Anshu,
I felt that the immortals of meluha was more interesting than the second part" the secrets of nagas' which became more like a typical hindi movies halfway. After reading the second part, I didn't feel like going through the third part

Jabeen, I too have read Of Mice and men and liked it a lot..I have also read his Totilla flat which was complicated and about a group of friends who go through ups and downs of life during world war 1, a bit depressing !...There are so many good books that one can read, not enough time to read ...

I have read only a couple of Steinbeck's novel including The Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men seems to be quite interesting. Usha, it is true what you said, there are so many books to be read and not enough time!

Other books that I have read and found to be extremely beautiful are Boris Pasternak's Dr. Zhivago, Margaret Mitchell's Gone With The Wind and Pearl Buck's The Good Earth. Although they are set in countries different from our own, the books do have a universal and timeless appeal!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Recently I read the novel The bankster whcih is a good one. It is an advance mystery which has perimetres of worldwide nations.

One of the book which really left a long lasting impression on my mind is" Of mice and men" by John Steinbeck. I read it a long time back but still I can recollect the scenes as it really moved me. Its a story about two friends who worked together in a farm. One of them had brute strength but had a mind of a child and oft did not realise what he was doing. The other friend was always concerned about his getting into trouble and tried to protect him in whatever ways he can. But he got into trouble unknowingly and his friend was at last forced to kill him in order to save him from more cruel death.

Usha, the palace of illusion is really a nice novel. I too enjoyed reading it as the characterization of Draupadi was done beautifully

@ Anshu,
I felt that the immortals of meluha was more interesting than the second part" the secrets of nagas' which became more like a typical hindi movies halfway. After reading the second part, I didn't feel like going through the third part

Jabeen, I too have read Of Mice and men and liked it a lot..I have also read his Totilla flat which was complicated and about a group of friends who go through ups and downs of life during world war 1, a bit depressing !...There are so many good books that one can read, not enough time to read ...

I have read only a couple of Steinbeck's novel including The Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men seems to be quite interesting. Usha, it is true what you said, there are so many books to be read and not enough time!

Other books that I have read and found to be extremely beautiful are Boris Pasternak's Dr. Zhivago, Margaret Mitchell's Gone With The Wind and Pearl Buck's The Good Earth. Although they are set in countries different from our own, the books do have a universal and timeless appeal!

I have read Russian author Maxim Gorky's "Mother" and it is a moving story set in the period around the Russian Revolution in 1917. I wonder if anyone in the forum has read it?
Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

@ Anshu,

I have read Russian author Maxim Gorky's "Mother" and it is a moving story set in the period around the Russian Revolution in 1917. I wonder if anyone in the forum has read it?

I read it years ago. Long ago in India Russian literature was cheaply available including weeklies like Soviet Land published in all the Indian languages. During that period i bought a cheaper edition Of Mother and also "And quite flows the Don. written by MMikhail Sholokhov.

@ Anshu,

I read it years ago. Long ago in India Russian literature was cheaply available including weeklies like Soviet Land published in all the Indian languages. During that period i bought a cheaper edition Of Mother and also "And quite flows the Don. written by MMikhail Sholokhov.

I had read it during my last year in school and at that age it made a deep impression on me especially the struugle against poverty.

@ Anshu,

I had read it during my last year in school and at that age it made a deep impression on me especially the struugle against poverty.

Maxim Gorky is known for his writings that reflect the Social conditions.
Very interesting discussion here about literature, a rare thread but with fulll of knowledge.

Thank you said by: usha manohar
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.