Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Swetha Shenoy wrote:

In this fast pace world, I feel that my mother and mother-in-law are the ones who patiently prepare the reciepies provided in the link by Usha ji. I for once, donot have patience to even make something very delicious! The maximum time spent by me in kitchen would be just 30 minutes! Many of the equipments have advanced to quicken the breakfast making. For instance, making the good old idli/dosa batter would take a night and a day (the traditional soaking, grinding, fermenting,etc) and I prefer buying the ready made batter from Retail store, which is easier to store in fridge and which I feel is less messier! Hence for idli, rava dosa, dhokla,etc there are ready to make batters and cooking items!

But this stands true- when breakfasts are made with traditional way, it tastes way better than the instant ones.

Yes it does take a lot of time and patience to make such dishes in a traditional way. Earlier, when I was working outside home, I too didn't have much time and relied on ready made batter etc. But now, I take efforts and invest a lot of time preparing traditional dishes the way they are actual;ly prepared. I can get them readymade even now but I feel it is my duty to make my son aware of how they are made and how much efforts go into preparing each dish. Not just that but also how they are made for the sake of keeping their nutritive values and taste intact which are otherwise missing from the readymade stuff. But I must say, the end products and the appreciation showed by family is worth all the efforts and time invested.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: Swetha Shenoy
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
Swetha Shenoy wrote:

In this fast pace world, I feel that my mother and mother-in-law are the ones who patiently prepare the reciepies provided in the link by Usha ji. I for once, donot have patience to even make something very delicious! The maximum time spent by me in kitchen would be just 30 minutes! Many of the equipments have advanced to quicken the breakfast making. For instance, making the good old idli/dosa batter would take a night and a day (the traditional soaking, grinding, fermenting,etc) and I prefer buying the ready made batter from Retail store, which is easier to store in fridge and which I feel is less messier! Hence for idli, rava dosa, dhokla,etc there are ready to make batters and cooking items!

But this stands true- when breakfasts are made with traditional way, it tastes way better than the instant ones.

Yes it does take a lot of time and patience to make such dishes in a traditional way. Earlier, when I was working outside home, I too didn't have much time and relied on ready made batter etc. But now, I take efforts and invest a lot of time preparing traditional dishes the way they are actual;ly prepared. I can get them readymade even now but I feel it is my duty to make my son aware of how they are made and how much efforts go into preparing each dish. Not just that but also how they are made for the sake of keeping their nutritive values and taste intact which are otherwise missing from the readymade stuff. But I must say, the end products and the appreciation showed by family is worth all the efforts and time invested.

I feel it is also a matter of practice, I find making idlis the easiest because I soak the rice and dhals after washing them  which takes less than 5 mins . At night I grind them, again the whole process takes less than 15 mins.. preparing idlis too takes less than 15 mins . Once you keep doing it, it becomes very easy.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

In general Idli -Sambar is a great combination. Because it is cooked on steam and no oil is used, It is both healthy and nutritious. Of course, it takes less time to prepare..

A small amount of Oil is used to smear the Idli maker ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I see.. But I had never seen or missed about the smearing of oil. If I am not wrong, she doesn't use pressure cooker. She uses an ordinary big mouthed vessel to prepare Idlis.

It does not really matter what you use whether a Idli maker or a cooker or something else.. anyways, since you obviously are unaware of how idlis are made , why simply go on..

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
Swetha Shenoy wrote:

I feel it is also a matter of practice, I find making idlis the easiest because I soak the rice and dhals after washing them  which takes less than 5 mins . At night I grind them, again the whole process takes less than 15 mins.. preparing idlis too takes less than 15 mins . Once you keep doing it, it becomes very easy.

True...it just takes a few minutes to attend to each of these steps. But there are other dishes too where one has to spend more time than usual, for instance, I have to prepare Puran-poli on special occasions which takes the major part of the day. On Sankranti I prepare gul-poli and also til-gul etc. which again, takes a lot of time. But it is well worth the effort and time when my son too insists on participating by helping me prepare the dishes. That way I can spend quality time with him and also make him aware of our traditions and culture.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
Swetha Shenoy wrote:

True...it just takes a few minutes to attend to each of these steps. But there are other dishes too where one has to spend more time than usual, for instance, I have to prepare Puran-poli on special occasions which takes the major part of the day. On Sankranti I prepare gul-poli and also til-gul etc. which again, takes a lot of time. But it is well worth the effort and time when my son too insists on participating by helping me prepare the dishes. That way I can spend quality time with him and also make him aware of our traditions and culture.

True Kalyani , I too make  Puran-poli which we call Holige , is time consuming but so tasty. Another traditional sweet dish I like a lot is Karjikai or gujiyas as they are called in the north . One can make different fillings both sweet and savory ! 

We.prepare a host of Dishes during festivals like Sankranti, Deepavali etc. Pulhora or Yellow rice with tamarind or lemon according to one's taste. Other preparations are Gaarelu or Vadas, Ariselu Made with ground rice. They are time consuming , of course.. Genially these preparations are made by ladies from the relative circles.

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

@ Kalyani, yes please do let me know how it is...I make it at home at times and it comes out very well ! I am giving the recipe here//

Channa dal - 1 cup ( roast with a little oil) , Urad dhal 2 tablespoon ( roast separately with oil), Copra, dry coconut grated - 1 cup ( roast until brown with a little oil),Dry  Red chilies 6-8 , more if you want it hot ( roast with a little oil long with a spoonful of mustard seeds), Curry leaves a handful, roasted with a little oil. Salt, a small piece of jaggery and a tsp Hing and lime sized Tamarind ( roast the tamarind after seperating it )

When the ingredients are cool blend in a mixer for a few seconds , cool and again run the mixture for a few seconds until the mixture is ground coarsely. You can season it with hot oil, mustard seeds and curry leaves and cool before storing it !

Thanks a lot Usha for the recipe, I will make this chutney using your recipe now. I used to make it in a similar way but didn't know about adding copra.

The powder my husband bought is also quite good, but has comparatively less salt than is needed so I have to add salt to it and blend it once again. But the quality is quite good.

Sometimes I buy the powder from MTR which is very good but at times has too much salt in it . I guess it depends on the different batches made at different  times . Some local brands too are very good..

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.