We read so many books in our life time and many of them make an impact on us and we feel like sharing our thoughts on those books with others ...I like reading other peoples virews and reviews on books since it gives me a clear idea as to what is in store and helps in making a decision while buying books.
I thought of starting this thread with the idea od writing a little about the books that we have read and liked. this will help others get an insight about different kind of books...

The Palace Of Illusion
I am starting the thread with one of my own favorite books The Palace of Illusions written by Indian author Chitra Banerjee Devkaruni, who also wrote The Mistress of spices,!
The Palace of Illusions is a simple tale Narrated by Draupadi the wife of the five Panadava brothers . The book gives a woman's take or perspective on the timeless tale - The Mahabharata. The book traces Panchaali's life from her birth, lonely childhood , marriage, motherhood and her own role in the Kurukshetra war. It is the story of a woman born into a man's world , and her struggle to maintain her dignity and self respect.

Please add on...

{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 11081]}

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
We read so many books in our life time and many of them make an impact on us and we feel like sharing our thoughts on those books with others ...I like reading other peoples virews and reviews on books since it gives me a clear idea as to what is in store and helps in making a decision while buying books.
I thought of starting this thread with the idea od writing a little about the books that we have read and liked. this will help others get an insight about different kind of books...

The Palace Of Illusion
I am starting the thread with one of my own favorite books The Palace of Illusions written by Indian author Chitra Banerjee Devkaruni, who also wrote The Mistress of spices,!
The Palace of Illusions is a simple tale Narrated by Draupadi the wife of the five Panadava brothers . The book gives a woman's take or perspective on the timeless tale - The Mahabharata. The book traces Panchaali's life from her birth, lonely childhood , marriage, motherhood and her own role in the Kurukshetra war. It is the story of a woman born into a man's world , and her struggle to maintain her dignity and self respect.

Please add on...

A similar book is The Krishna Key by Ashwin Sanghi. It tells the tale of Mahabharata in a parallel manner while also telling the gripping story of the plot to snatch the legacy of Krishna by vested elements. It is well researched and readers will know many Vedic Age secrets. Worth reading.
Thank you said by: usha manohar

The Palace Of Illusion

Please add on...

A similar book is The Krishna Key by Ashwin Sanghi. It tells the tale of Mahabharata in a parallel manner while also telling the gripping story of the plot to snatch the legacy of Krishna by vested elements. It is well researched and readers will know many Vedic Age secrets. Worth reading.

I have heard a lot about this book and in fact planning to buy it ...The plot seems very interesting ! :)

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Ramachandra Guha’s, “India After Gandhi”
It’s a History book with difference. Ramachandra Guha is a multifaceted writer with interests on varied subjects like environmental, social, political and cricket.
The book, “India After Gandhi” is an example of Ramachandra Guha’s writing skills, intricate research and social commentary. He dealt in detail how Patel and Menon built India by getting princely states accede, Independence, wars, emergency etc interspersing with anecdotes and intrigue. Owing to this reason, “India After Gandhi” makes a pleasurable reading.
It’s more of a Novel than a History Book.
My book of choice is Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged!

The book is set in USA, paints a vivid picture of a country which is ruled by sycophants and looters who are hellbent on throttling the growth of industries and enterprising innovators solely for the purpose of supposedly granting benefits to those who are poor and those who are unwilling to work. A fantastical scenario wherein all the industries close down one by one and the industrialists, inventors, innovators vanish into thin air, in a bid to take revenge against the unfairness of the system. It is a must read but for those who are unfamiliar with Rand's style of writing could find this book rather boring! But the plot is too good!

{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 11082]}

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

The book is set in USA, paints a vivid picture of a country which is ruled by sycophants and looters who are hellbent on throttling the growth of industries and enterprising innovators solely for the purpose of supposedly granting benefits to those who are poor and those who are unwilling to work. A fantastical scenario wherein all the industries close down one by one and the industrialists, inventors, innovators vanish into thin air, in a bid to take revenge against the unfairness of the system. It is a must read but for those who are unfamiliar with Rand's style of writing could find this book rather boring! But the plot is too good!

I read it during my college days and was impressed a lot by it. However for today's times it is a voluminous book and as u say could be found a bit boring. But the story is too good and realistic.
Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

The Palace Of Illusion

Please add on...

It is a great book, I would suggest to read "Yajnaseni" by eminent Odia write Dr. Pratibha Ray, This book was written in 1984 and translated into English, Hindi, Malayalam, Marathi, Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Hungerian. This year, Dr. Pratibha Ray bags Jnayapitha award, the highest literary award of India, the novel "Yajnaseni" is all about on the same theme as you have mentioned above book but the treatment is different. It is one of the great novel so far I have read in my 35 years of stay in this live planet.

http://mohanmekap.com/

The Shiva trilogy series that include "The Immortals of Meluha", "Secret of the Nagas" and "Oath of the Vayuputras" are also quite interesting if one has an interest for mythology written with a modern mindset. The three books written by Amish Tripathi are worth a read.

I have read a couple of Ayn Rands books like We the iving and The fountainhead and found them both very good ...Atlas Shrugged seems interesting, will try to read it, thanks for the brief synopsis Kalyani :)

One of the book which really left a long lasting impression on my mind is" Of mice and men" by John Steinbeck. I read it a long time back but still I can recollect the scenes as it really moved me. Its a story about two friends who worked together in a farm. One of them had brute strength but had a mind of a child and oft did not realise what he was doing. The other friend was always concerned about his getting into trouble and tried to protect him in whatever ways he can. But he got into trouble unknowingly and his friend was at last forced to kill him in order to save him from more cruel death.

Usha, the palace of illusion is really a nice novel. I too enjoyed reading it as the characterization of Draupadi was done beautifully

@ Anshu,
I felt that the immortals of meluha was more interesting than the second part" the secrets of nagas' which became more like a typical hindi movies halfway. After reading the second part, I didn't feel like going through the third part
Thank you said by: usha manohar, Kalyani Nandurkar
One of the book which really left a long lasting impression on my mind is" Of mice and men" by John Steinbeck. I read it a long time back but still I can recollect the scenes as it really moved me. Its a story about two friends who worked together in a farm. One of them had brute strength but had a mind of a child and oft did not realise what he was doing. The other friend was always concerned about his getting into trouble and tried to protect him in whatever ways he can. But he got into trouble unknowingly and his friend was at last forced to kill him in order to save him from more cruel death.

Usha, the palace of illusion is really a nice novel. I too enjoyed reading it as the characterization of Draupadi was done beautifully

@ Anshu,
I felt that the immortals of meluha was more interesting than the second part" the secrets of nagas' which became more like a typical hindi movies halfway. After reading the second part, I didn't feel like going through the third part

Jabeen, I too have read Of Mice and men and liked it a lot..I have also read his Totilla flat which was complicated and about a group of friends who go through ups and downs of life during world war 1, a bit depressing !...There are so many good books that one can read, not enough time to read ...

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.